The Viatorians are celebrating the 60th anniversary of Rakusei Middle/High School and St. Viator Parish, Kitashirakawa and their commitment to the community of Kyoto, Japan. In 1948, Viatorians from the Provinces of Montreal, Joliette and Chicago went to Kyoto to establish a mission. The parish was established in early 1951 and the school in 1952. Fr. Francis White, CSV, of the Province of Chicago was the first school principal. Today, Japan is a Foundation of the Province of Canada.
Photographs from the early 1950’s are on display showing the town, the school, the students, the church, the parishioners, the Viatorian residence and the Viatorians ministering there. The photos are displayed on stacks of archival document boxes and surrounded by Japanese cherry blossoms to add a little color.
The exhibit case is located on the lower level of the Province Center near the chapel. Stop by to take a look!