Rev. Stanley A. Swikoski, CSV, died Feb. 3, 1974 in Chicago, after suffering a stroke. He was 85.
Fr. Swikoski was born Jul. 2, 1889 in Chicago. His family attended St. Stanislaus Church, where his baptismal record indicates the family name was spelled ‘Szajkowski,’ which he used until circa 1910.
In 1910, Fr. Swikoski entered St. Viator Academy in Bourbonnais and the Viatorian novitiate in 1911. He professed his first vows Apr. 8, 1913 and his perpetual vows on Apr. 8, 1918.
Fr. Swikoski began his teaching career with the Viatorians at Columbus College in Chamberlain, SD, teaching there from 1913-1920.
Following the completion of his theology studies, he was ordained to the priesthood on May 21, 1921. Fr. Swikoski’s priestly assignments as teacher, pastor and chaplain were numerous over the years and they changed frequently.
He ministered at St. Viator Church in Chicago, St. James in Chamberlain, SD and Sacred Heart in Eau Claire, WI. He taught at St. Viator College in Bourbonnais; Fournier Institute in Lemont, IL; Cathedral Boys High School in Springfield, IL; and at St. Gregory High School in Chicago. As a chaplain, he served at the Municipal Sanitarium in Chicago; St. Joseph Hospital in Chippewa Falls, WI; St. Michael Hospital of Wausau, WI; St. Mary’s Hospital in Kankakee, IL; and at St. Luke Hospital, and the Mother Joseph Manor, both in Aberdeen, SD.
From 1968 – 1972, Fr. Swikoski served as the assistant director of the Scholasticate, located on Sheridan Road in Chicago, before retiring to the Viatorian residence on Pratt Avenue in Chicago.
A wake service for Fr. Swikoski took place Feb. 5 at Theis Funeral Home in Chicago, where the Rev. Arnold E. Perham, CSV, gave the homily.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Feb. 6 at St. Viator Church in Chicago, during which the Rev. Clarence J. Biladeau, CSV, delivered the homily.
Fr. Swikoski was buried in the Viatorian Community plot at Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside, IL.
Compiled from the provincial confrere files of Fr. Stanley A. Swikoski, CSV