Rev. L. George Langlais, CSV, pastor of St. Mary’s Church in Beaverville, Illinois, died May 7, 1902, at the age of 78, after 20 years of faithful service to the parish.
Fr. Langlais held positions of trust in various institutions of the Viatorian community, in the province of Montreal prior to his call to the pastorate of St. Mary’s.
Fr. Langlais was always remarkable for his sincere piety and his entire devotedness to the work he undertook. At St. Mary’s, he took great interest in improving and embellishing the church. He built a convenient vestry, a parochial residence and a convent which became a flourishing school and the novitiate of the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary, a sisterhood from Paris.
The grateful people of St. Mary’s requested from the Rev. Andrew Corcoran, CSV, provincial superior, that they be allowed to bury their venerable pastor in their own cemetery and erect a monument over his grave worthy of their esteem for him. Consequently, Fr. Langlais was laid to rest May 9 beneath the central cross of St. Mary’s cemetery.
The Very Rev. Andrew Corcoran, CSV, said the Mass, assisted by the Very Rev. Cyrille Fournier, CSV, as deacon and the Rev. Francis Chouinard, CSV, as sub-deacon. The Rt. Rev. Gerismo Legris, DD, gave the last absolution. The Rev. Moses Marsile gave the sermon. The Very Rev. F. Weldon, VG, of Bloomington, IL representing the Rt. Rev. Bishop Spalding of Peoria, paid tribute to the memory of Fr. Langlais.
Taken from The Viatorian, a publication of St. Viator College, dated June 1902, p. 27