According to a recent report from the World Meteorological Organization (WHO):
- It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land.
- Human-induced climate change is already increasing the frequency and intensity of many weather and climate extremes in every region across the globe.
- 5 years after the adoption of the Paris Agreement, the emissions gap is as large as ever.
- Concentrations of the major greenhouse gases continued to increase in 2020 and the first half of 2021.
- In September 2020, the Arctic sea-ice reached its 2nd lowest level on record.
- The year 2021 recorded devastating extreme weather and climate events – a signature of human-caused climate change.
- The scale of recent changes across the climate system as a whole and the present state of many aspects of the climate system are unprecedented over many centuries to many thousands of years.
These are just some of the findings reported by the Social Justice Resource Center in its latest newsletter. The Chicago-based organization’s stated mission is to link faith to action by providing information and resources on current social issues.
Learn more about these findings — and resources to take action — in the Social Justice Resource Center’s October newsletter.