Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep Celebrates 15 Years
October 8, 2019
Celebrate! Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep marks its 15th anniversary this year.
The Class of 2019 posed for a photo during their retreat at the Viatorian Province Center.
Back in 2004, the Viatorians were among the founding religious communities to financially back Cristo Rey St. Martin when it opened. They continue to support the school and its mission of providing a college prep education to students and families of limited means.
In fact, Viatorians believe so fully in the mission, they opened their own Cristo Rey St. Viator College Preparatory this year.
The 15-year mark finds Cristo Rey St. Martin at an excellent place, as reported in its recent annual report.
The school opened its new campus in 2018.
Consider some of these statistics:
- Enrollment is up to 407 this year, compared to 94 its first year.
- Its retention rate is 86% as compared to 38% during its first four years.
- Enrollment in a 4-year bachelor’s program is 80% of its graduates as compare to 21% during its first years.
- Of its most recent graduating class, 65% completed college as compared to 17% its first year.
- Numbers of student volunteer hours has grown to 2,262 for the class of 2019, up from 160 its first year.
- CRSM represents 1/13th of the total high school population in Waukegan and West Chicago, but its alumni account for 57% of all new bachelor’s degrees earned there.
- Of its alumni who hold bachelor’s degrees, 50% are working for one of the school’s Corporate Work Study partners.
- For the eighth year, the Washington Post has named CRSM one of “America’s Most Challenging High Schools,” ranking it in the top 4% of secondary schools in the U.S.
President Preston Kendall, center, acknowledges the role of the Viatorians, including Fr. Charles Bolser, left, and Fr. John Milton, right
“From our modest opening in 2004, to a now thriving institution inspiring young men and women to develop their God-given talents and become agents of change for their community,” writes President Preston Kendall, “CRSM is a poignant reminder that, with a clear vision fueled by your support, anything is possible.”